Name validation in Hortis enhances the quality of your names and provides extra taxonomic metadata via Plants of the World Online and Catalogue of Life.
How can I improve the quality of my names?
To clean up your names, you can filter on the appropriate level of name validation, and find the correct name using the name lookup.
Here is a video to explain the process for unvalidated and partially-validated names:
I have two taxon records, one correct and one misspelled
I have recorded a few accessions with a then name Farfugium japonica instead of the correct name Farfugium japonicum. Can I merge the misspelled taxa?
Hortis will prevent you from having two taxon of the same name, so you cannot change the misspelled taxa to the correct one in this instance. If you don't have any accessions related to the taxon, you can just delete the record. Otherwise, you will have to update the individual accessions to the correct taxon first.
To update the accessions, you can follow these steps:
- Navigate to the taxa screen of the misspelled taxa.
- Scroll down to the “Related records”.
- Click on the first accession record.
- Select “Edit” / “Accession data”.
- Change the name to the correct spelled name and click “Update”.
- Navigate back to the taxa screen of the misspelled taxon using the browser back button.
- Repeat step 3 to 6 for all the other records.
- When the related taxa are all moved, you can then delete the taxon using the [...] button on top of the taxon screen.
You will see in the corrections in the activity log of the accessions.